PA SAINT BERNARD RESCUE - the local chapter of the Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation, a 5013c organization headquartered in Oregon. Our focus is on Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, West Virginia
Theodore is a 3 yr. old, 160 pound bundle of love. He was adopted from rescue by a very kind couple living in Erie, PA. The couple are caregivers to two special needs young men, both of whom are confined to wheelchairs, Theodore was adopted as a companion for them. Suddenly and inexplicably, Theodore lost all mobility and sensation from his mid-section down. After being rushed to emergency at the Veterinary Speciality Hospital in Pittsburgh, and follow up consultations with veterinary experts, it was concluded that Theodore most likely suffered a stroke-like event in his spinal cord - known as FCE.
Expensive MRI imaging is required followed by, at a minimum, intensive physical therapy several times a day by a qualified therapist, and possible surgery if a herniated or ruptured disc is discovered. Theodore's condition will require special care and his medical bills will be extremely high, the family thought it would be best to hand him over to the care of professionals with PA Saint Bernard Rescue. He is now currently comfortable in a private care enterprise surrounded by staff who can assist him at any time.
Theodore has already begun stem cell therapy which involves spinal injections using the dog's own stem cells, with the potential to regenerate tissue in the part of the body that was damaged and caused it to lose function. He is also in the very early stages of physical therapy.
Theo is a young dog and special companion, and he deserves a fighting chance. However, time is of the essence. Please help this great Saint. Let's get Theodore back on his feet!
Posted on January 13, 2017
Theodore has begun his therapy treatments: three sessions on the underwater treadmill, and electro-stimulation once per day. His is pretty weak right now and can only endure short periods on the treadmill; however, he appears to really be enjoying it. No signs of any feeling, but we're in the very early stages of treatment.
Posted on January 11, 2017
Both veterinarians (Dr.Hutchison - stem cell therapy and Dr. Brown at the University Hospital).
Plan to proceed as follows: We are cancelling the MRI; we will proceed with stem cell therapy accompanied with physical therapy. Physical therapy will consist of hands on deep massaging and movement of the muscles 3-4 times a day. Also, once a day, starting today, Theodore will undergo underwater treadmill therapy which is provided by the University Hospital staff. He will be transported daily to and from the hospital by the hospital medical van. The hospital has agreed to discount the costs since we are a rescue. Dr. Hutchison stated that, if successful, we should see some results from stem cell therapy in 4-6 weeks. If improvement is indicated, Theodore will receive a second round of stem cell injections.
We will continue to provide further updates. Thank you!
Posted on January 10, 2017
Theodore remains in the hospital with a low grade fever. His MRI has been put on hold because he is not well enough to be transported across town where the imaging unit is located.
We were told that time forward is limited unless we can get him into a wheeled dog cart to keep him upright. We're working on that. Please donate and pray for Theodore, he needs all of the love and support as possible at this time.
Posted on January 09, 2017
Theodore is currently staying at the University Specialists Hospital. We learned that they do not have MRI equipment at their location and that Theo must be transported to a facility approximately 30 miles away for the imaging.
This is now scheduled for tomorrow. We also learned that they are not very optimistic about his recovery, giving him only a 20% chance for minimal recovery. However, in speaking to the veterinarian involved in stem cell therapy, he still maintains that Theo is a good candidate for this procedure. We will conduct further discussions with all involved tomorrow morning to determine our course of action. I will keep you apprised of the situation.
Thank you for your support during Theodore's time of need. We are all hoping and praying for a positive outcome for the big guy. Any dollar amount contributed is greatly appreciated!